Edible Image How-To
Your Edible Image & scissors
Your Iced Cake
Optional Step 1. Roll out your fondant slightly larger than your edible image piece. Lay and position appropriately on your cake.
1. Cut out your desired image portion from your sheet. Do not remove the plastic backing at this point.
2. If you used a fondant backing rub a thin layer of shortening on top of the fondant. If you keep it as a buttercream surface no additional moisture is necessary.
3. Position your image as desired.
And the following is the most important step!
4. Once your image is set place a paper towel over it and using a fondant smoother start smoothing from the center of the image out toward the edges. Ensure to smooth the entire surface and re-smooth just to make sure. The purpose for this is that if you don't you will end up with A LOT of air bubbles, wrinkles, and folds in your beautiful image! But they don't show up right away... they take some time to show up (like an hour or so). However, if you smooth the image they won't show up at all!! Also the working out the air bubbles is a little easier on fondant than on buttercream.
5. Finally, pipe a nice and neat pearl or shell border for a clean and finished look!
And that is it!