3 Tips for Faster Baking



Over the years I've picked up a few things I like to do to make cake making faster. I mean, it still takes time, but every little bit helps right?! 

Here are my 3 baking tips:


1. Flour pans with self-rising flour
When preparing pans for baking I always dust my greased pans with self-rising flour. The baking powder in this flour makes it easy to move and control the flour. Whenever I use regular flour, the flour feels like it wants to 'stick' more and I spend extra time and effort trying to get the flour to 'move' to coat the pan well.
I also like to grease my pans with high-ratio shortening, you can typically find this in bulk in a local restaurant food supply shop.


2.  Measure batter using a scale
For years I eyeballed the level of cake batter to fill cake and cupcake pans. Turns out, measuring the same amount every time using a scale made it much faster and easier and gave me more consistent results. I've used many scales, and the scale that has lasted me the most is make and model MyWeight KD-7000.




3. Document batter weights and baking time
Even after years of baking, my biggest challenge has been to remember batter weights and baking time required for each cake pan size. With this, I get consistent results without messing up a batch. Because of this, I started documenting how much batter weight I get per batch of a particular recipe and how much batter weight and time is required per pan size. This can vary by recipe especially when baking using a doctored cake mix or scratch recipe. 



I hope these baking tips are helpful for you! Do you have any baking tips that really work for you? Let me know in the comments below or share in our Facebook group.

Happy baking!
Christie 

Basketball cake details:
Cake baked in an 8" domed cake pan using a baking rod
Used a styrofoam half sphere at the bottom held on with skewers
Covered in marshmallow fondant



   

Comments

Popular Posts