How to stack a 3 tier cake!

 

Happy New Year! I hope you all had a restful holiday and a beautiful start to the New Year 😍!

This week I am breaking down how we stack cakes at Cake Couture Love. If you like this content, make sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow us on social so you don't miss a post!

I have been stacking and delivering cakes for 10+ years and I've found this method to be the simplest and most effective method yet.

Now don't get me wrong, delivering cakes is always nerve wracking! The drive time,  speedbumps, traffic speed, the weather... I am convinced that no matter how well we stack, delivering a cake to its destination safely is always a challenge!

But these method has worked for me time and time again, so let's jump in.

Some things to keep in mind... 

  • I use this method for 2 - 4 tier buttercream or fondant cakes
  • I like to deliver 4 tier cakes stacked (and I typically require pick up for 2-3 tier cakes) 
  • I like to keep the stacking as simple and effective as possible

What you will need:

  1. Your cake tiers
  2. Wood skewers
  3. Large Boba straws
  4. Non-slip cabinet liner or extra buttercream
  5. Cutters - wire cutters for the skewers) and scissors for the straws 

The steps:

Step 1. Push boba straws into your bottom tier. I used 8 straws at the bottom of this 12" tier because it was a 4 tier cake. If this was a 3 tier cake, I might use 6 straws. Use scissors to cut the straws directly at the top of the cake. I don't measure these exactly, but you can. I also don't like to place a middle straw because 4 closer straws are stronger than one solo straw in the middle.


Step 2.
Apply a non-skid pad or extra buttercream for the second tier. I do prefer the non-skid pads because they keep things clean. The weight of the cake above and the pad on the straws keeps the whole cake from sliding.




Step 3.
Repeat the boba straw process and non-skid pad for the second tier. For this 10" Navy cake I used 5 boba straws. 

Step 4. Next, push in your wood skewers from the top tier down THROUGH the tiered cake board and into the bottom cake board. I use a pointy pick if I need to. When I hear the sound that the skewer punctured the board that works for me. 

 


Step 5. Repeat the process for the third tier. However in this case, push the skewers down through the cake tier, past its board, and into the following tier's cake board. However, it does not need to reach the bottom cake board.

And that is it! The picture below on the left was at my home and the picture below on the right was once we arrived at the venue.


This cake was delivered as a stacked 4 tier, I drove VERY slow and all went well... whew!!! Whenever possible I do like to use a box, but that can get difficult to find for larger cakes like this LOL. 

Some reasons I like to deliver cakes stacked are because I don't like to extend the set up time when I am already pressed for time (I always seem to be), and I worry that I will forget some sort of tool to set up correctly. 

I hope you've found this stacking method useful, let me know what you think! 

Christie

P.S. This was such a beautiful Beauty and the Beast inspired Quinceneara cake! Our customer had an amazing vision for her daughter's cake. We were so excited to be part of her special day <3. For decorating tools and supplies, check out our shop at www.cakecouturelove.com













Comments

Popular Posts